Sports Cardiology Clinic
There is strong evidence that exercise is beneficial for cardiac health. However, athletes may experience symptoms which could be due to a cardiac cause.
Sports Cardiology is the assessment of these symptoms and the management of any underlying conditions. Symptoms may include palpitations, dizzy spells or blackouts, shortness of breath or chest pains. These symptoms may be due to underlying cardiac conditions or could be due to the physiologic changes which occur in the heart of trained athletes.
Sports Cardiology also includes:
- pre-participation screening for the early identification of cardiac conditions in athletes entering into elite level competition
- the provision of guidelines for safe exercise programs for individuals who are known to have existing cardiac conditions
- patients over 50 years of age wishing to continue to train / compete at a high level
The Sports Cardiology assessment includes:
- detailed medical and sports history
- physical examination
- Holter monitoring
- stress echocardiography
And other tests which may be indicated:
- cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- cardiac MRI
- CT coronary angiography
Sports Cardiology is relevant to elite athletes, but also to older individuals who still wish to participate in vigorous competition or exercise.
The Nightingale Sports Cardiology Specialists are Dr Singleton (specialty interest in cardiac arrhythmias) and Dr Andrew Hamilton (specialty interest in cardiac imaging).
For an appointment contact the Sports Cardiology Service at Nightingale Cardiology on 7444 4219.